Pediatric Weight Management Program
Helping Families Learn Healthier Lifestyle Habits
Good health is based on everyday habits that start at home. Is it time for you to take the first step for positive change - with your family's support? Our new Pediatric Weight Management Program promotes lifelong healthy eating and exercise habits for overweight children, adolescents and their families. It is a family-based group behavior and education program that offers helpful support, every step of the way.
A program for positive change
During the six-week program, groups of families meet together once every week. Participants are encouraged to attend every session, where participants learn to:
- Identify and avoid high-calorie, low-nutrient foods
- Develop better exercise habits
- Reduce sedentary behaviors (activities that require little or no physical activity)
- Follow a healthy, balanced diet, even in difficult situations like family gatherings, holidays and parties
- Maintain a healthy weight, long term
Your personalized weight management team
Your Pediatric Weight Management team is with you at every step of your journey to better health, offering guidance and coaching to help you succeed.
Our dedicated team includes:
- Affiliated physicians
- Dietitians certified in Childhood/Adolescent Weight Management
- Child life specialist
- Mental health professionals
- Specially trained nurses
- Affiliated fitness consultants
- Peer support groups
We guide you through the program to instill healthy habits for long-term success.
How the group session format works
Each weekly group session lasts 120 minutes and includes personalized sessions for each child and parent:
- During the first 30 minutes, each family is privately weighed and measured. They receive feedback about their progress in changing or maintaining habits over the past week.
- In the second 45 minutes, children and parents divide into separate groups. They discuss specific child and parent experiences and problem-solving techniques.
- In the last 45 minutes, parents and children meet together in a large group. They identify obstacles and develop solutions to reach their weekly goals.
Keep in mind
Our program is NOT a diet where you try to lose as much weight as possible. That is not the path to better health. Remember, you are still growing taller, so if you simply stay the same weight you are now, you will become less overweight!
In the days and months following your participation in the program, you will see changes in attitudes about food, eating behaviors, self image and relationships with family members and friends. The Pediatric Weight Management Program provides highly effective motivational, psychological and group support options to help you maximize the long-term benefits of your healthy new life.
No program fees
Memorial Hermann is committed to fighting childhood obesity by promoting lifelong healthy eating and exercise habits. Through this dedication, we will be providing this program free of charge at Memorial Hermann Southeast.
We offer age-specific regimens for early adolescents (12-14), and adolescents (15-17). These general rules apply:
- Only the child and parent(s) enrolled in the program should attend sessions.
- At least one legal guardian must agree to attend each weekly session with his or her child.
- Both the parent AND the child must WANT to join the program.
For more information about our program, please send an email to Memorial Hermann Southeast at: SEMarketing@memorialhermann.org. To register now, call: 713.222.CARE (2273).
Please Note: Making lasting changes in eating and exercise habits is very difficult and requires a serious commitment from both children and their parents. To enroll, BOTH the child and legal guardian must agree to complete the program together. Teamwork is the key to success. We cannot enroll children who are not interested in making this commitment for themselves - for their own well being.